The foundation of the original Elk Run church
Inside the museum today
The Elk Run Church Mini-museum
Elk Run is one of the oldest settlements in Fauquier. The
Elk Run was established by colonials who began moving into the area in the early 1700s, moving out the native Manahoac Indians. By the 1750s, Elk Run boasted a tavern, an ordinary, a blacksmith’s shop, and a brick Anglican Church that replaced a wooden chapel that was built in 1730. The Elk Run settlement and Church were an early center of government and an origination point for further expansion of what is now
The first permanent minister, the Rev. James Keith, was the grandfather of Chief Justice John Marshall. Today, there is little evidence of early Elk Run above ground, save a single country store from a later period.
In 2000, St. Stephens’s Episcopal Church, located in the