Village of Morrisville
John Lederer explored the Morrisville area in 1670 and described it as a pleasant land where game was abundant.
Morrisville has the distinction of being the county’s first court when Fauquier was created from Prince William County in 1759. The subsequent shift of the court and political power to Warrenton and central Fauquier soon became a serious source of discontentment. In 1779, residents joined others from southern Fauquier in a petition to the Virginia Central Assembly asking for the creation of a separate county. The petition was denied.
Morrisville possessed a mining industry centered on the Franklin Mine, a hat factory, and the County’s first school devoted to train public school teachers.